Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Don't Call it a Comeback: The Old Faith for a New Day

I was talking to my girlfriend one morning about what things I'd be able to write on my blog. One of those things would be a personal review on books. I was a little squirmish as I said I'd be writing reviews on books, since I didn't want to call them reviews. It's because TGC (The Gospel Coalition) raised a high standard in book reviews on their site TGCReviews which made me hold back writing them. So I guess, for now, I would just call it something else. I'd probably call it something around the area of "My take on..." since I'd be stating my own humble, non-professional opinion on books.

With that said let me kick off with this wonderful book.

Kevin DeYoung and the rest of the Young, Restless, and Reformed camp collaborated on this one to write something that needs to be redeemed in our generation. This generation has lost the meaning of evangelicalism and shifted to something else when it comes to sharing the gospel, and this is what the book was after; to examine what evangelical Christianity is and does with the broad categories of history, theology and practice (description from Amazon).
The book offers chapters that discuss the essential beliefs in the faith and somewhat ideas on what an evangelical might encounter later on, during their walk as one. Topics that would discuss God's character, Christ, Justification, Regeneration, and practical topics on Vocation, Abortion, Homosexuality andMissions are some of the things that you'd find here. 

At this point, you might step back and say that this book isn't for you. This is one of the reasons why I highly recommend the book for anyone who would want to get to know these matters, the essential beliefs, and tough topics with regards to living, but scared to grab thick hardbound books that are written in Ye Ole English because these topics are written to be read easily. 

And since this is not a book review, I wouldn't end with a conclusion of how the book rated or what the authors should've done better, I'd just end this post with my recommendation. 

If you're someone who is curious to know the essential faiths that the guys of distant past are raving about but scared to pick up thick books that would make you think deep and fall asleep, look out for this book. You'll probably enjoy reading this one as much as I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment